Most of my 2019 went by like a blur. It felt like I was floating for at least the first 6-8 months. Like I was just existing. I would say this was probably due to being a new mum and trying to find a balance between my old and new realities.
It was also why I found it hard to manage this blog as well as juggle everything else in my life. At some point I even stopped sharing posts on IG because I just didn’t care to share anymore. I still don’t, but hopefully that changes soon, because sharing can be therapeutic for me sometimes.
Towards the end of 2019 till date, I lost the zeal to do the things that usually make me happy. I’m still struggling with this, but I’ve decided to take the first step to getting my ‘zing’ back by rekindling the connection with my first love, blogging. I currently find myself in a position where I have to discover myself all over again and find things I like and enjoy. It’s not a process I’m particularly enjoying, but it has to be done.
Regardless of how I feel and how much I’ve tried to avoid doing a review of my 2019 and setting goals for my 2020, I’ve decided to just do it. I want 2020 to be the year I stop overthinking things and just go for it.
- I became a mother to an absolutely adorable little girl. Right from when I was pregnant, I have exhibited strengths that I didn’t know I was capable of. I am super proud of myself for that.
- I took my digital illustrations to the next level and really improved. I try not to think of the things I can’t do yet, i’m focusing on my progress instead.
- I locd my hair! I literally woke up one morning, saw somenones starter microlocs on Instagram and decided that I wanted locs. I locd my hair that weekend and I haven’t regretted it. Prior to this day, I had been toying with the idea of locs, I wasn’t sure I wanted traditional locs until I discovered microlocs. I’m currently documenting my loc journey on Instagram (@abylocs), you can follow me if you’re interested in seeing the progress of my locs.
Lessons learnt in 2019?
To always put my well-being first. Because I can’t be the best mother, wife, friend or sister if i’m feeling less than.
Satisfied with 2019?
On a scale of 1-10, I would give my satisfaction level a 5, because there’s a lot I wish I had done. But on the other hand, I’m trying not to be too hard on myself because being a new mum and trying to juggle a career and other side hustles is not an easy feat. I did my best this year jare!
Accomplishments for 2020?
- I would love to have finally launched my brand
- Get a fresh start in my career, plus better pay
- Be more spiritually grounded
- Learn and master motion graphics to a reasonable extent
- Improve on my digital illustrations
- Become a better art director
- Go back to my pre-pregnancy body or at least close to it and be consistent with exercising
- Share more on my social media pages and on the blog
- Be consistent and disciplined in self/craft improvement.
What new habits will help me achieve these goals?
Consistency and discipline!
My immediate next steps to achieving these goals?
Don’t think, just do!
What about you? How satisfied are you with your 2019? What would you like to have accomplished by the end of 2020? Let’s talk in the comments section.